Who remembers this pub? August 17, 2019 by Grantham Matters Leave a Comment The Black Boy Pub Coaching was at its height in the early 19th century and Foston had several Inns and Staging Houses. The Duke William public house was at the Allington crossroads close to the service station area. The Black Horse still exists in the centre of the village as a private house and flats. The Black Boy was demolished in 1950 and it stood at the Junction of Tow lane and Newark Hill. With the advent of the railway Foston lost any importance it may have had as a staging post and the village was bypassed in the 1920’s isolating the village from any through traffic. At the turn of the century when the Great North Road ran through the village, the vehicles on the road were mainly horse drawn. Travelling circuses would pass through the village along with occasional dancing bears and travellers from all walks of life. During the First and Second World Wars, Foston remained a thriving village. Sadly, during the Great War eight men from the village lost their lives in the armed forces. In the Second World War, two men were lost during the war. During that time American Medics stationed at Allington frequented the Public Houses in the village. Italian prisoners of war worked on some of the farms, replacing villagers that had left to go to war or work in Grantham at the armament factories.