William Whitaker (1830-1914)
BORN in Leeds, 15-year-old William Whitaker came to Grantham as an apprentice to tailor George Gibbon in 1845.
In 1869, on the death of Mr Gibbons, William took over the business and gave his name to it until his retirement in 1904 when his son Frederick took over.
Aged 20, he volunteered for the Lincolnshire Rifle Corps (later the 2nd Volunteer Battalion Lincolnshire Regiment) based at the Barracks, Sandon Road, in which he served for 38 years, retiring as quartermaster Sergeant.
Not once did he miss the annual camp.
He was also an official in the Grantham branch of the Oddfellows, for one day less than 50 years and was treasurer for the Vale of Belvoir district.