Autumnal signs are unmistakable – foliage starts to turn stunning reds and golds before falling and carpeting the grounds in delicate patterns, temperatures begin dropping and berries and apples appear in time for autumnal feasting. Resident wild birds love feeding off these delicious fruits, but there is plenty more they require to prepare them for the arrival of winter and seasonal migration.
Autumn is a busy time for wild birds as they build themselves up for the challenges that the months
ahead present – and can be especially tough for little birds. Here is why it is important to support wild
birds during the autumn:
● To help wild birds build fat reserves to survive
● To allow passing migrating birds to replenish their
● To provide wild birds with a reliable source of
energy and nutrient filled food when natural food
sources become scarce due to hard grounds
- One for the smaller sorts: Many birds prefer pecking feed from the ground rather than from
a bird table or feeder which is why the brand new for 2021 Henry Bell Essential Ground
Feeder (£5.99) (see image above) is perfect for the little ones.
- High-energising foods: The Henry Bell Robin Blend (RRP: £5.99), is a high-energy, deeply
nutritious feed. The blend is packed with sunflower hearts for energy plus mealworm and
rowan berries to create a delicious and wholesome meal that is relished by Robins and many
other small birds.
- The autumn favourite: Perfect for small-beaked birds, such as Robins, Goldfinches, and
Chaffinches, the Henry Bell Nyger Seeds (RRP: £4.99 – £8.99) are highly nutritious and
wonderfully rich in oils with a high protein count. A great choice for autumn/winter feeding
as it helps give wild birds the high calories to keep them warm and assists with the
regeneration of feathers.
- Replenishing water sources: Due to falling leaves, water supplies can quickly become
stagnant, so it is important to clean, refresh and top them up. The Henry Bell Essential Water
Drinker (RRP: £3.99) is easy to use and keep refreshed so that wild birds have a plentiful
source of water. Providing birds with a fresh supply of water can encourage wild birds into a
garden all year round.
- Henry Bell & Co is a fourth-generation family-owned British business that has been producing high
quality wild bird and animal foods for a number of years. The company launched its own range in
2019, Henry Bell Wild Bird Care, which features over 170 quality products catering for every type of
garden bird, all designed with health and wellbeing of birds in mind. Henry Bell has made sustainable
packaging a priority with all their Wild Bird Food packaging being 100% recyclable.
Henry Bell Wild Bird Care is available at Dobbies Garden Centres, Blue Diamond Garden Centres and
selected independent garden centres, pet shops and retail outlets nationwide.