Frederick Tollemache (1804-1888)
EVERYONE knows the Newton statue, on St Peter’s Hill, but many people still ask “who’s the other chap?”
Well, the Hon Frederick James Tollemache, whose statue stands at the southern end of the green, was very popular in his day, he was Member of Parliament for Grantham for 40 years. This was spread over four periods between 1826 and 1874.
The bronze statue, on a base of granite blocks cost around £1,700 which was raised by public subscription. Many poor people gave pennies they could ill afford.
The statue, unveiled by Sir High Cholomeley depicts Tollemache supporting himself on a long staff, which became something of his trademark in his later life, and wearing his favourite oversized Inverness cape.
He is carrying a felt hat in his left hand.
Tollemache was born at Buckminster Park, the fifth son and the 10th child of William, Lord Huntingtower.
Educated at Harrow, he was elected as a Liberal at the age of 22, one of two MPs for Grantham.
He failed to gain re-election in 1830 because it was thought his ideas for change were too modern. He had wanted to retire from politics in 1865 but was persuaded to re-stand.
A huge crowd waited to greet him. Supporters pulled his carriage through the town.
Tollemache married twice, but both wives died after only a few years of marriage.
He died at Ham House, Petersham, Surrey.
He has two pubs named after him, one adjacent to his statue, the other in his home village, Buckminster