George H Linnel (1853-1915)
George H Linnel was born at Great Gonerby, the son of James Linnel who was landlord of the Rutland Arms coaching inn, in the village.
He was educated at the village school, then the National in Grantham.
On leaving school he was apprenticed to builder W Wartnaby where he learned the art of bricklaying and stone masonery.
During this time he learned his trade on building Grantham Guildhall and the Stamford & Spalding Bank.
On qualifying, he moved to Glasgow to work on building the university, before moving around to Leeds, Oxford, Lincoln and Nottingham.
He settled in Grantham in 1881, opening a stone-mason business in Brook Street, before moving to Manthorpe Road and settling in Park Road, on the corner of Castlegate.
He also opened on Welham Street 1906, which eventually became Streather & Wynn.
He married the only daughter of Kempton builder Henry Wynn.
He was elected to Grantham Town Council in 1899 and five years later was appointed mayor of the town. He was a councillor/alderman for 15 years. He also served the town as Chief Magistrate.
He was also a governor for New Somerby Schools and on the committee of Grantham Hospital.