Sidney Leadenham (1915-2009)
BORN at Great Ponton, Sidney Leadenham’s family then moved to Spittlegate Heath Farm, from where he won many prizes showing Shire horses.
He married Edith Harrison, of Great Gonerby, in 1940 and they moved to Manor Farm, Manthorpe, with a horse and cart. His final journey back to Manthorpe was also horse drawn.
In the early days at Manthorpe, Mr Leadenham had the village milk round.
He had two daughters Rosemary and Iris and the farm was always a gathering place for teenagers. He was involved with the setting up of Manthorpe Young Farmers Club and converted old cowsheds for the club.
He moved from the farm in 1965 and then once again had a job as a milkman. He later worked in security at both Aveling Barford and Barpak.
From 1951 he served as a special constable, a role he kept for 27 years. He was also a member of Grantham Conservative Club, serving on the committee and also at one time being chairman.