Harold Jeffrey Hempton 1905-1986
Harold Jeffrey Hempton was born in Lincoln, moving to Grantham in 1934.
In a deal with Gunnar Bjorlow, of Copenhagen, he reopened the former canalside Shaw’s Tannery in Earlesfield Lane. He was appointed managing director.
The business grew from strength to strength and became world famous for its waterproof suede, employing up to 500 staff.
In 1969 he was part of Barrow, Hepburn and Gale who bought out Bjorlows but four years later 180 employees lost their jobs when it closed.
He retired to Looe in Cornwall.
During his business life in the town he was a governor of Grantham Hospital, chairman of both the local magistrates and Grantham Chamber of Commerce.