Lewis F Catlin (1862-1924)
Grantham born, Lewis Catlin was the son of retired farmer Robert Catlin, of Elmer Street.
He was the senior partner of High Street grocer and confectioner Catlin Bros. His brother John was also in the partnership.
He was a staunch churchman and was a server and Sacristan at St Saviour’s Church and presented four statues for the niches outside the West Door of St Wulfram’s Church.
In 1962 a stained glass window by Harry Harvey was unveiled in his memory, and other members of the family, in St Wulfram’s
The unemployed were a major concern of his and was a supporter of the Municipal Food Kitchen.
He also actively supported the Borough Police Boot and Clothing Fund for Poor Children.
As a hobby, he collected military medals although he did not participate in the armed services himself.
He died at St Clements Nursing Home, Harrowby Road, following an internal illness.
For many years, the name of his business remained unchanged, and even for many years after it was renamed, it was always referred to locally as ‘Catlins’.