This time of outbreak of COVID-19 can be especially worrying for children. Resources are available to support those who are concerned, such as ‘Kiki the Worry Monster’, a book written by ten-year-old schoolgirl Erin Smith to help children to manage their worries.
Kiki the Worry Monster was written last year in an effort to help children and young people to deal with and openly talk about their feelings and concerns, after Erin was referred to emotional wellbeing service Healthy Minds Lincolnshire.
Erin was referred by her mum, who was concerned over her daughter’s increasing worry over everyday things. The book features tips and advice Erin learned throughout her sessions.
Healthy Minds Lincolnshire is delivered by Lincolnshire Partnership NHS Foundation Trust. The service helps children and young people to work through worries and low moods. It offers early help and support to address young people’s emotional wellbeing concerns before serious problems develop.
All Healthy Minds practitioners have a nursing, social work, counselling, teaching or mental health background, working both with children and young people directly, and with their teachers to assess how best to provide support.
While working through her concerns, Erin’s Healthy Minds practitioner Lucy Harte encouraged her to put her creative flare into practice by writing a book.
The storyline includes advice and techniques, as the reader is taken on an illustrated journey with Kiki the Worry Monster, who works through the different types of worries, offering advice on their management.
Lucy said: “Erin is very creative and has written books of her own in the past, so her face lit up when the idea of creating a book during our sessions was suggested to her.
“Watching Erin’s learning process bloom on paper through this book has been immensely rewarding, and I think it’s helped her even further to know that the efforts during her sessions were making a wider impact.
“Erin has since shared her book with her friends at school, offering tips and advice learned during her sessions to help them. It’s a very relevant conversation but one that can be undervalued in people of Erin’s age, so it’s encouraging to see her help her peers become more open about their worries.
Erin’s mum also commented: “This has massively boosted Erin’s confidence and she even stood up in front of the whole school in assembly to talk about the book and the Lincolnshire Healthy Minds process.
A copy of ‘Kiki the Worry Monster’ is now available to read on the LPFT website by clicking here.
A 29-year-old man has been jailed for assaulting an emergency worker after a Covid-19-related incident, yesterday morning (3 April).
Officers attended an address in Fosdyke following a call at 2.01am and arrested the man on suspicion of breaching the peace.
After being taken to custody, the man is alleged to have told an officer that he had Covid-19 before deliberately breathing in the officer’s face.
Luke Courtney, of Snaith Avenue, Fosdyke, was charged with assaulting an emergency worker, and resisting a constable in execution of their duty.
He appeared at the Virtual Remand Court on Saturday morning where he was given a 3 month prison sentence and £122 court costs.
Police are urging the public to protect the vulnerable and support the NHS this weekend as the predicted hot weather may tempt people out.
Please follow the Government instructions on what you need to do.
Thank you to everyone who is supporting the national effort. We all have a part to play. If you play your part in staying home, you will help us play our part in coming to work and policing the County.
The coast is closed
Our coastal resorts are closed say Council and Police.
Those considering travelling to the Lincolnshire Coast this Easter, against Government advice, have been told to stay at home instead.
That’s the message from East Lindsey District Council, which has also announced the closure of its main tourism car parks as they ramp up measures to combat the spread of Coronavirus.
The message is echoed by Lincolnshire Police. East Area Commander Chief Supt Chris Davison said, “The Council are asking people to follow the Government instructions and not travel to the coast. We are supporting the message wholeheartedly. We will be friendly, but firm to ensure people only travel when necessary. A frivolous visit to the coast could literally cost lives. It would be a selfish and dangerous thing to do and would fly in the face of the vast majority of people who are taking every step they can to stop the spread of the virus and help protect our NHS. We have a beautiful County and a lovely coast. Save your visit for a better time, when the restrictions are lifted and you can enjoy it properly.”
The East Lincolnshire coast has seen a huge reduction in visitors over recent weeks as the message to stay at home begins to take effect, but with Easter fast approaching the Council has brought in the measures in a further effort to deter visitors. The Council confirmed that the closure of the car parks would remain in place for a number of months.
Councillor Steve Kirk, Portfolio Holder for Coastal Economy at the Council, said: “It seems strange to be asking visitors to stay away and to be introducing measures to deter them from coming, but this is a wholly necessary step. We want to keep those would-be visitors and our residents safe and the best way we can do that is by encouraging people to stay at home. The threat posed by Coronavirus is incredibly high and, and as much as we love people visiting our district, it’s not worth the risk of getting ill and spreading this virus further. So please, follow Government instructions and stay at home and when this situation is resolved, we’ll gladly welcome you back to the Lincolnshire coast.”
The District Council are also calling on local businesses, including accommodation providers and visitor attractions to continue to play their part too, by ensuring they remain closed in-line with the Government closure orders.
Councillor Kirk added: “I’d like to thank businesses for following the guidance so far – we know this is a tough time.”
CLICK ON PICTURE ABOVE FOR DETAILS
CLICK ON PICTURE ABOVE FOR DETAILS
Manufacturing safety visors and producing ventilators are just some of the ways the University of Lincoln is helping tackle the global Coronavirus crisis.
Staff and students at the University are pulling out all the stops to help the healthcare workers in Lincolnshire as they face the unprecedented challenge of responding to the COVID-19 pandemic.
The University’s School of Engineering is meeting an immediate need from United Lincolnshire Hospitals NHS Trust by manufacturing safety visors and other safety equipment which can be deployed at Lincoln County Hospital. Staff are also working up plans to support the production of ventilators for very sick patients by 3D printing parts for machines.
A huge chunk of the money needed is being contributed by the University – and now, the public are called on donate more funds via JustGiving to ensure that as many new pieces of equipment as possible can be created.
Professor Mary Stuart, Vice Chancellor of the University of Lincoln, said: “As a University we have a responsibility to serve the community in which we sit, and there has never been a more important time for us to step up and try to make a positive difference to the immense challenges faced by the health service in combating the COVID-19 virus.
“I am particularly proud of our engineering staff who are manufacturing safety visors and other equipment for use at Lincoln County Hospital.
“We are moving as quickly as we can to support our local community, and the University is contributing a large part of the cost needed to produce the equipment, but we are asking for your help to raise the remaining funds required. Any amount you can give matters; I know that together, we can make a difference, and I hope as many of you as possible can support our efforts.”
To contribute to the campaign, please visit the dedicated JustGiving page.
Self Help Project Helping to Establish Small Enterprises in Kenya
A project managed by Lindum Rotary club in Lincoln together with Grantham Kesteven Rotary Club has helped to set up micro-banking projects in Kenya which can help young Kenyan Women out of poverty
Community banking is sometimes called table banking as transactions take place over tables in the countryside. Customers become share-holders in the bank, run by a Kenyan charity. They have access to credit, pay much lower interest, and the bank retains a profit margin to ensure continuing viability.
Through local fund raising in Lincoln, a Rotary grant and money raised in Kenya has meant that £4500 has been used to establish the project in the Meru region of North East Kenya.
Twenty one groups and five hundred and fifty members received training in business practice, including community banking.
Examples of the enterprises established through the project include the Laithithi Kang’enyone Self-help group. With the seed capital of only 5000 Kenyan Shillings (£40), the 18 members hired one acre piece of land and planted tomatoes. The money made from the project was divided amongst the members to take their children to school. 20,000 Kenyan Shillings was injected back into the business. The project provided employment to 2 people as well.
Beatrice Karimi Malinge and her daughter Rose Nkirote, both members of the Peace Makers Self-help group, rented a shop to start a joint business. Rose is doing hairdressing while her mother is sewing school uniforms for local schools. Praising the table banking initiative, Beatrice said “It was a wise decision that I made to join Solidarity bank; I’m now able to get business capital when I need it!”
This project is one of a number in Meru that the Rotary Clubs have established to improve the lives of impoverished people in this rural area of Kenya. Alongside community banking, self-sustaining farms have been built, and a new initiative to provide tailoring workshops is about to be launched.
Organiser Mike Robinson of Lindum Rotary Club said “This work give opportunity and hope for people who have so little”
ORGANISERS of the Lincolnshire Show, one of the county’s flagship events, have made the difficult decision to cancel the show this year, due to the ongoing coronavirus situation.
The Show welcomes more than 60,000 visitors, 6,000 students and 600 trade stands each year, and has been running for more than 135 years.
Jayne Southall, CEO of the Lincolnshire Showground, said: “We are extremely sorry to have had to make this devastating decision. We have been monitoring the news and advice continually but as the situation has unfolded and intensified, we know we have no alternative but to cancel the 136th Lincolnshire Show.
“The team are heartbroken, but we fully understand the government’s guidance to cancel large public gatherings and national events to help reduce the risk of spreading coronavirus. The safety and wellbeing of our staff, volunteers, competitors, exhibitors and visitors is as always our number one priority.”
The much-loved annual show, which welcomes hundreds of local exhibitors, breathtaking performances and exciting attractions, has only had to cancel a handful of times in the Lincolnshire Agricultural Society’s 150 year history – during World Wars and more recently because of the foot and mouth outbreak in 2001.
Jayne added: “We would like to thank everyone for supporting the show and for their hard work and commitment during this difficult time. As a charity, the cancellation of the show has a significant impact on us, as all of our surplus funds go towards our educational work, but also affects our exhibitors, businesses and the local community around us.
“In the next few days, we will contact our traders, sponsors, suppliers, livestock and equine exhibitors, schools and ticket buyers regarding the next steps. We will now focus all of our attention on making our 2021 show the biggest and best show to date and we look forward to welcoming you all back next year.”
The 2021 Lincolnshire Show will take place on 23 and 24 June.
For further information and for regular updates, please visit www.lincolnshireshow.co.uk
A 28-year-old man and a 26-year-old woman have today been sentenced to a combined 48 years in prison, for offences of rape and sexual assault against children in 2017.
Following a joint investigation between Lincolnshire Police and Humberside Police, both Oliver Wilson, 28, of Donington, Spalding, and Rebecca Holloway, 26, of Rutland Street, Grimsby, were charged with rape and sexual assault. In a separate case, Wilson pleaded not guilty to a string of sexual offences on another child, but following a trial last year he was found guilty of 11 further offences for which he was sentenced jointly with the original charges today.
Both were sentenced at Teeside Crown court today. Oliver was handed a prison sentence of 34 and a half years and Holloway was jailed for 13 and a half years.
Officers from Lincolnshire were investigating Wilson, when they discovered a chat log between himself and Holloway.
This chat log described in graphic detail the sexual abuse and rape of a young girl and further sexual abuse of a young boy, and in passing sentence the judge stated that the text conversations between Wilson and Holloway in which they talk about sexual activity with one of the victims made for some of the most depraved and vile reading he had encountered.
Officers made efforts to trace Holloway, who was located in Grimsby and subsequently arrested by officers from Humberside. At the time of the offences, both offenders were living in Lincolnshire.
Wilson was arrested by officers in Lincolnshire and remanded in custody.
The pair both pleaded guilty at Grimsby Crown Court to offences of rape and sexual assault.
Detective Sergeant Julia Tee-Boon, of the Public Protection Unit at Lincs Police, said: “I would like to say how thankful I am to officers from both Lincolnshire and Humberside for their efforts in what has been without doubt the most horrendous and emotionally challenging case to work on.
“It is their sheer determination and professionalism that has resulted in these offenders both being brought to justice. Crimes such as these are abhorrent and vile, and our forces are fully determined to bringing offenders such as these to justice. My thoughts go out to the innocent victims, and we will work hard to make sure all the services are there for them to get all the help and support they need.”
Lincolnshire Police ARV Unit says../
Suspicious van stopped on the roads of Lincolnshire and found to contain a large number of stolen Nitrous Canisters from Hospitals north of the country overnight. . . . Unbelievable in the current climate
For the first time those planning to start university in September can get a taste of life as a University of Lincoln student, find out what the University offers and get a feel for the city through a completely virtual experience hosted by a student YouTuber.
From this Saturday (21st March), prospective students can experience the Your First Day event – an event which offers a taste of university life, the course, and a chance to experience the city – online and from the comfort of home.
The fully interactive experience will be hosted by Lincoln student and YouTuber Charlotte Emily Price. Charlotte, who is in her third year studying Forensic Science at Lincoln, is a fashion and lifestyle content creator with more than 13,000 followers on Instagram and her YouTube channel, Charlotte Emily Vlogs, has upwards of 7,500 subscribers.
Emma Jubbs, who heads up student recruitment at the University of Lincoln, said: “The online experience of the Your First Day event builds on virtual open days already offered by the University, and ensures those planning to attend university can still look around the campus and accommodation, watch highlights throughout the day, ask questions online, and find out more the University and the city, even when they can’t attend in person, which we all know is not possible at the moment.
“The University of Lincoln is proud to provide a home from home for our students and this starts from the earliest stages of application. We are grateful that young people have trusted us to be their future home and we look forward to welcoming our next cohort to our fantastic city and University later this year.”
As well as this there will be an ‘ask a question’ feature on the Facebook and Instgram stories to enable prospective students and parents a chance to ask any questions in the same way they would if they were attending in person, and get a reply in real time. Any answers will be available for all viewers. Each College at the University will also upload content relevant to the disciplines it offers to their social channels.
Charlotte’s virtual tour takes in the library, Brayford Waterfront, Student Wellbeing Centre, Isaac Newton Building, student accommodation, the Students’ Union and the Minerva Building. Applicants can also get a taste for graduation, the student support services, teaching, research and accommodation.
You can follow the live and interactive virtual Your First Day on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/universityoflincoln) and Instagram (@unilincoln) from 10am until 3pm on Saturday March 21st. The content can also be accessed after the event from the same channels.
CHILLED pastry producer Addo Food Group has announced it is now recruiting for temporary jobs at its Spalding site which may help all those people who have been affected by recent redundancy within hospitality and leisure-based businesses as a result of COVID-19.
The company which currently has six sites around the UK, manufacturing a range of savoury quiches, pies, pasties, slices, scotch eggs, sausage rolls and pork pies for major retailers, as well as category-leading brands Wall’s Pastry and Pork Farms, is offering roles to people with all levels of experience within its Lincolnshire-based factory.
Deborah Bolton, CEO, Addo Food Group, said: “Coronavirus has impacted so many hospitality based businesses already and as workers are being laid off all over the country from restaurants, pubs and bars, we’re pleased to be able to offer temporary positions within our Spalding site which may help ease the financial pressure that a lot of people now find themselves in. It’s a really difficult time for people and it’s important that we help where we can.”
Experience within the food manufacturing industry isn’t essential as full training will be provided for all roles. The recruitment of temporary workers to Addo Food Group’s Spalding site is to allow for a short-term increase in production and does not affect the current plans to relocate product lines to the group’s other sites which will take place later this year.
For more information about the temporary vacancies at Addo Food Group, please email firstname.lastname@example.org