Re Becca says…
LOCAL DANGER: Just wanted to spread the awareness of the potential dangers of Reservoirs in the local area.
In humans, contact with skin or swallowing contaminated water can cause rashes, vomiting, stomach pains, fever and headaches. In rare cases, the algae can cause liver and brain damage.
Moist environments provide the perfect breeding ground for bacteria. Some varieties of bacteria are dangerous to humans and animals, and drinking stagnant water or even touching it and not washing your hands could make you, your pets, or your children very sick.
Reservoirs are very dangerous places to swim and the government advises against people taking a dip in a reservoir. Here’s why:
* They tend to have very steep sides which makes them incredibly hard to get out of
* They can be very deep, with hidden machinery that can cause injuries
* The surface can look calm but the current might be strong below due to pumps used to move water around
* They tend to be isolated – meaning that they might be far away from emergency services if things go wrong
* The temperature tends to be very low, below 10 degrees Celsius, even on a hot day
Sadly, some people do not know about the risks of swimming in reservoirs – and there have been serious accidents that have happened at UK reservoirs.
PLEASE SHARE TO RAISE AWARENESS