Douglas Houghton, (1901-1941)
DOUGLAS Houghton was a native of Stone, near Rochester, who came to Grantham following the creation of Aveling-Barford.
He first became connected with Aveling Porter at Rochester, where served as apprentice fitter. During the Great War joined HM forces, and served in the Army of Occupation in Germany.
On his return he rejoined the firm and did valuable work the experimental diesel engines on which they were at that time engaged. On the transfer of the works to Grantham, he was appointed head chauffeur and was in charge of the works’ fleet of cars.
Mr Houghton, who lived on Harrowby Road, Grantham, was well known and respected, not only in the works but amongst a large number of officials and customers who had occasion to visit the premises.
The conscientious way in which he always discharged his duties enabled him to have the complete confidence of the directors and senior staff of Aveling-Barford.
He drove many thousands of miles without accident
He took his full share works welfare activities, and among his other interests he represented the firm at cricket and tennis. He also took leading part in the horticultural section.
After war was declared he joined the company’s R P service, going in for a course of first-aid lectures.