Retired railwayman became a publican
Henry Allen (1825-1911)
BORN at Peterborough, Henry Allen was superintendent of the loco at Grantham for 27 years.
He came to Grantham in 1858, only five years after the railway station opened in the town, and worked for the Great Northern Railway Co for more than 40 years.
When he retired in 1885, he lived at Harlaxton Wharf before becoming the licensee of the Gregory Arms until 1897 (when he was 72).
He moved to his daughter’s home, at Heaton Moor. Stockport, where he died.
He was buried at Harlaxton.