Eric James Adamson (1919-2007)
ERIC James Adamson was born at Liverpool and was educated at the Jesuit College of St Francis Xavier.
His first job was with the Admiralty in Altrincham, before being called-up for the Army.
He served throughout the Second World War, leaving with the rank of major.
He married Marion at All Saints Church, Driffield, in January, 1946 andreturned to the Admiralty in Glascoed and Bath. During this period they lived in Newport, Monmouth.
After transferring to Customs and Excise he worked in London and then moved to Hull, from where his work took him along the coast to Whitby and beyond.
In 1952 he took over the Customs and Excise station in the Grantham area, being solely responsible for a 30-mile radius of the town.
He worked from 8 St Peter’s Hill, but later was required to work from Nottingham, travelling daily from his Rectory Lane, Harlaxton, home until retirement in 1982.