Philip Joseph Lank (1924-2018)
Leicester-born Philip Lank moved to Grantham in May 1961, replacing Stephen ‘Solomon’ Mundy as organist and choirmaster at St Wulfram’s Church.
He arrived from Oswestry, where he had a similar role at Oswestry School and was conductor at the local choral and orchestral societies.
He had previously been organist at Peterborough Cathedral.
He was appointed music master at the King’s School, where he remained until 1979 when he went freelance. He was also appointed lecturer of music at Harlaxton College that year.
He founded Grantham Choral Society in 1963, part of the town’s Quincentenary celebrations and remained conductor and musical director until 1995.
He also helped to resurect the Grantham Music Festival in 1963, was made president in 1984 and remained so until his death.
His organ skills proved vital in 1972 when he oversaw the rebuilding of St Wulfram’s organ.
He was appointed travelling examiner for the Associated Royal Board of Music in 1984, resulting in his retirement from the parish church. He travelled worldwide in this role, including an extensive tour of Malasia.
In 2008 he Philip Lank Trust was founded to support church music in the Grantham area.